Lisān al-‘Arab (لسان العرب), the famous dictionary of Classical Arabic, contains 9273 roots (and 4,493.934 words). A huge playground for people who are passionate about Arabic such as…
Antoine-Robert El Dahdah
The man who put Arabic grammar in charts and tables
– one of the greatest Arabic grammarians of the last decades
- Date of birth: 22nd of March 1930
- Place of birth: Beirut, Lebanon.
- Place of residence: Beirut, Lebanon.
- Personal website: www.arabic-grammar.com
1. How would you introduce yourself to someone who doesn’t know you?
Still learning at 88 (years old).
2. What was the first Arabic grammar book you wrote?
A Dictionary of Arabic Grammar in Charts and Tables.
3. What is your favorite Arabic book (novel, etc.)?
The prophet by Jibran Khalil Jibran.
4. How much time does a native speaker of English need to master Arabic?
5. What is your favorite Arabic word?
“Ahlan wa sahlan”.
6. Which Arabic word do you like least?
Hanou – The sixth noun of the classical five nouns.
7. Which Arabic dialect do you like best?
Lebanese of course.
8. What is your favorite Arabic colloquial word or expression?
Khalleek Aal Khatt!
9. What is your favorite Arabic quote or proverb?
La Takrahu chay’an la’allahu khayron lakum (لا تَكْرَهُوا شَيْئًا لَعَلَّهُ خَيْرٌ لَكُم).
Meaning: A bad situation may have a silver lining.
10. What is the best thing that was ever said about the Arabic language?
Arabic grammar is a science.
11. What is the best piece of advice you were ever given?
What someone else does, you too can do.
12. Which three people would you like to invite for dinner?
Any 3 classmates.
13. What was the last great meal you had?
Kafta and Hoummos.
14.What is your favorite city?
15. Which book would you give to a dear friend?
Syntax in color of the Holy Koran by Abou Fares El Dahdah.
16. What is your all-time favorite movie?
Gone with the wind.
17. What music do you listen to?
A trademark of Antoine El Dahdah: tables and charts. He explains Arabic grammar in a visual and logical way which makes it easy to understand and remember.
18. When were you happiest?
When finishing a book.
19. What is your greatest fear?
Losing my mind.
20. What is your life motto?
If you don’t progress, you regress.
Ambassador El Dahdah, thank you for your time.
Note: This page was last updated on.