Lisān al-‘Arab (لسان العرب), the famous dictionary of Classical Arabic, contains 9273 roots (and 4,493.934 words). A huge playground for people who are passionate about Arabic such as…
The man who makes Arabic texts talking
- Date of birth: April 20, 1980
- Place of birth:Témara (تمارة), Morocco
- Place of residence: Casablanca (الدار البيضاء), Morocco
1. How would you introduce yourself to someone who doesn’t know you?
My name is Yassir Abbassi. I’m 38 years old and I work as a sales Manager for ReadSpeaker which is a leading Text-to-speech/TTS company. I can describe myself as a highly motivated person, who would always go one step further.
2. What was your first Arabic grammar book?
My first grammar book was called قراءة.
3. What is your favorite Arabic book (novel, etc.)?
I really do not have any preference. I’m a newspaper reader.
4. How much time does a native speaker of English need to master Arabic?
It all depends, but I think 3 years.
Here is an example: If you prefer listening to reading, try aljazeera.net. Just click on the loudspeaker symbol. The quality is amazing!
5. What is your favorite Arabic word?
6. Which Arabic word do you like least?
Remark: It means not knowing; ignorant.
Yassir lives in Casablanca – home to one of the biggest mosques in the world. The Grande Mosquée Hassan II (مسجد الحسن الثاني) is the largest mosque in Africa and the 5th largest in the world. Its minaret is the world’s tallest minaret at 210 meters (689 ft).
7. Which Arabic dialect do you like best?
8. What is your favorite Arabic colloquial word or expression?
العمل – hard working
9. What is your favorite Arabic quote or proverb?
.مَنْ جَدَّ وَجَد
Every serious/ambitious person will reach his goal.
Remark: This is a very famous Arabic proverb (مَثَلٌ). The full version often reads as: مَنْ جَدَّ وَجَدَ وَمَنْ زَرَعَ حَصَد. It means: Who toils, will succeed; and who sows, will reap. In other words, if one takes no risks, one will not gain any benefit.
10. What is the best thing that was ever said about the Arabic language?
That it is the language of the Qur’an.
11. What is the best piece of advice you were ever given?
Always keep trying.
12. Which three people would you like to invite for dinner?
My mother, my father, and my wife.
13. What was the last great meal you had?
14. What is your favorite city?
15. Which book would you give to a dear friend?
I don’t have a preference.
16. What is your all-time favorite movie?
17. What music do you listen to?
Raï music (راي).
From the legendary 123 soleils concert at Pari by Khaled, Rachid Taha & Faudel. This Khaled original, performed by the trio, is one of the (many) highlights of that show. Abdel Kader was released as the lead single to support the release of the insanely successful live album/dvd. Both the single and the album reached the top 10 of the French charts. The album went selling over 2 million copies.
18. When were you happiest?
When my first child was born.
19. What is your greatest fear?
I have no fear.
20. What is your life motto?
Getting better every day.
Yassir Abbasi, thank you for your time.
Picture credit: pixabay /geralt
Note: This page was last updated on.