You can use the نُون التَّوْكِيد (emphasis with the letter ن – also called energetic mood) with the present tense (الْمُضارِع) and the imperative (أَمْر) – but you cannot use it with the past (الْماضِي).
Here is how it works.
|The light ن||ن خَفِيفة ساكِنة|
It is formed by adding a ن with a سُكُون
|Obey your parents!||أَطْيَعَنْ والِدَّيْكَ!|
|The strong/heavy ن||ن ثَقِيلة|
This form is more common. Here is how you build it:
- Delete the ضمّة on the verb (marker for present tense) or delete the final ن if the verb-form belongs to the so called الْأفْعال الْخَمْسة (“five verbs”)
- Add a fatha (فَتْحة) on the last letter
- Finally, add نَّ → Note: do the same for the imperative
|Do you (really) help your friend?||هَلْ تُساعِدَنَّ زَمِيلَكَ؟|
In case you want to dive deeper into the grammar ocean…
- What does فأسقيناكموه mean?
- Why is the Quran so difficult to read?
- 22,222 men came – How do you write this number in Arabic?
- لَبَّيْكَ (labbaika) – What does it mean?
- Damma or Kasra – How a wrong vowel in the Quran may produce blasphemy
Picture credit: Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay